Monday, November 23, 2009

How Am I Doing So Far?

My first goal of learning more about how other Kindergarten teachers and classroom are using weblogs or blogs to communicate with others has not yet completed as our school is taking on a new program using edline to create our own website. I am learning how to create my own website yet it is very limited with the templates and format of the sites. I was wondering if this site might replace the idea of a class blog. Yet, now that I am learning more about this new program I am finding I need to move further with my plans of reviewing how other kindergarten teachers are using blogs. Our own class blog will allow me to be a bit more creative and do much more with videos and pictures.

So far, I am not having a problem finding the resources I need as there are a plethora of kindergarten websites out there which is quite inspiring to me. I have learned that blogs really provide a way to creatively express and communicate with parents. Many of the class blogs I have reviewed have embedded slide shows and video that either reinforce content or share what the students are doing as if you were actually peeking into the classroom. As a parent myself, I see the value of this. I do want to find out what blogs would be best to provide the most privacy protection for my class and I.

As for my second goal of participating in and joining committees that reinforce technology integration and 21st century learning while helping peers to integrate technology on a regular basis, I have already begun my action plan.
I have learned that I can model and encourage technology infused lessons various ways that are not very intrusive. I am communicating how I use specific technology with my class to others by posting pictures or sharing digital videos of lessons that are the utilizing the doc cam or the interactive whiteboard outside the classroom door, in newsletters, and on our closed circuit announcements. I have also begun to put all of my lessons in a folder on the share drive of our school so other teachers can access and view them. I wonder if there are other ways I can reinforce technology integration? I would appreciate any and all suggestions...

I need to look outside of our school for resources regarding 21st century learning groups. Initially, I was planning to get involved with the committees within my district but am finding that there are not as many opportunities as I had hoped for. Therefore, I have decided to become a bit more involved with Classroom 2.0 and plan to take part in a few of the Free Classroom 2.0 LIVE Workshops to broaden my horizons and attain my goal.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the wonderful world of database driven websites. Edline is one of the many database driven web site that depend on content and not images and creativity. Their a powerful tool if you want everyones site to look the same, but if you want to stand out it you have to do it with the content you put on the site and not with the design of the site.

    One of the nice things about these kinds of sites is that you can create a site that only selected users have access to the site very easily. So the privacy issues are somewhat covered by controlling access to the site. However, because you are working with Kinder students you will have the same troubles you have with many of the software programs that are not written specifically for kinder kids. I.e flashy easy to access interface that young students can connect to.

    Virgil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Virgil, I see the value of database driven sites for those teachers that may feel uncomfortable with creating their own webpage, yet I feel it really limits the talents I have and the technogical background I possess. I think we should be given the option of using this or our own site. I feel this format is also a safe way of controlling and monitering how teachers are communicating via class websites.

    In my prior position, I created the district's ITRT site and other school's sites. I saw the value of making these sites exciting and appealing to students and parents at the elementary level. Edline really hinders the creativity I feel my site needs for my students.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome. I have created this site in hopes that we may share the ideas learned on integrating technology into education with one another...